Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cooking Shows

Time to bring back the questions/discussion- tie-in thingys! As I said in my review of Annette Blair’s book The Kitchen Witch, I would love for there to be a real TV show like Melody Seabright’s but to my knowledge there isn’t one. It was years before I was interested in cooking shows at all (especially since I don’t cook, I bake) but there are a few I like...

Of course, number one would have to be Martha Stewart, whom I have been completely wowed by time and again. Does anyone else think that she might not be real? She’s too… well, too Martha lol (until you see her blooper reel)! I do know there are people who can’t stand her but I tend to pick up her books and watch her shows whenever I get a chance. Well that’s it. That’s the only cooking show I’ve ever watched and I think I really watched it for the crafts and stuff!








Okay, that’s not true, I also watch a different kind of cooking show… the reality TV kind. Yep, I love watching Top Chef and Hell’s Kitchen. I am aware of others but I’ve only seen these, and I only started watching both of them last year. The petty whining and stuff can get pretty annoying but I just enjoy it any way. There aren’t many other reality shows I watch besides these two (Project Runway and Shear Genius mainly- nope American Idol is hubby‘s thing) though.





There are other cooking shows out there, most of which are found on the Food Network but there are two I’ve never tried before that I would love to do so: Rachel Ray and Paula Dean. I hear these names all the time and I’ve tried two of Paula’s recipes over the holidays (made by someone else) but I have yet to see their shows or try any of their recipes myself. I’d like to know if any of my readers have and if so what? How’d it turn out? What’s your favorite?

Well, that wasn’t the question I planned to end with when I started writing this. So what I’d like to know is, do you have a favorite TV cooking show? How about one that you used to watch that is now cancelled?

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm such a cooking channel fanatic-lol. I love Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef. I also like Kitchen Nightmares that Ramsey is on. Among the rest are The Barefoot Contessa, Nigella, Rachael Ray, Paula Dean, Jamie Oliver. Oh my Jen, my list could go on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh Jen, my mom would love this. She watches so many cooking shows, I've lost count. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well,I adore Top Chef and Hell's Kitchen,also love Kitchen Nightmares(another Gordon Ramsey show) as well.

    On Food Network,I dig Iron Chef America (Cat Cora is my favorite,she's such a rock star!),any Food Network Challenge that involves making giant cakes and a new competition show called Chopped.

    I've seen Paula Deen and Rachel Ray on Food Network,they're both nice but Ace of Cakes is way more livelier and fun. Oh,and this June,there will be a new season of The Next Food Network Star,which is fun to watch,too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dar: I believe I've heard of most of those but I don't think I've seen the shows :(

    Alice Teh: Lol. I think I remember one of my grandmothers watching cooking shows when I was a kid but no one else really cares for it.

    Lady T: Oh, you're so going to keep me busy lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares. So far, I also like the new show, The Chopping Block. As far as cooking lesson type shows, I love, love, love Jacques Pepin.

    Paula Deen has an awesome recipe for cheese biscuits (from The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook). Her recipes for Mama's
    Pound Cake and Almond Sour Cream Cake are so yummy (from the same book). We also tried a rice casserole dish of her's that was not so great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the cooking shows too, they are fun to watch.
    The chef on Hell's Kitchen can be brutal! lol

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a favorite cooking show. I have got an episode here and there of Hell's Kitchen that I found amusing, but other than that, I tend to avoid cooking shows like the plague. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed my musings and I would love to hear what you think about them!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
The Movieholic and Bibliophile's Blog