Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It's Treasure Island Day!

Today I’m talking about one of my recent favorite children’s classics Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson over at The Movieholic and Bibliophile’s Blog so I thought I’d mention some of the things that this wonderfully book has been adapted into here.

The Disney Channel actually produced this TV mini-series in 1986 starring Brian Blessed (whom Disney used again as the voice of Clayton in Tarzan) and Christopher Guard. Here is the opening titles (some of the show can be found on YouTube too):


There was also a cartoon that came on in 1993 mainly in the UK that I really wish I could have seen as a kid called The Legends of Treasure Island. All of the characters were anthropomorphic animals but it only lasted two seasons. However, Hugh Laurie (now known mainly as Dr. House) is the voice of Squire Trelawney:


The neat live-action TV series Relic Hunter that ran from 1999-2002 starring Tia Carrere and Christien Anholt, and Lindy Booth featured Treasure Island as the characters search for the lost treasure. Here's the opening:


I loved Alvin and the Chipmunks as a kid and I’ve seen many of the cartoon movies (except the newest one, which I still pretend, doesn’t exist) and especially the TV show but again somehow, I missed their Treasure Island episode in which after their video game breaks, Dave reads to them. Then they imagine themselves living the “Sea Life”:

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh... I love Alvin and the Chipmunks too. Theodore is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,

    You won a copy of Mrs Meyer's Clean Day on my blog. Please email me with your address!

    thetometraveller (at) yahoo (dot) com

    Thank you!
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treasure Island is one of my favourite stories. I'm suprised that as a Disney devotee (I'm thinking my own bursting Disney DVD cabinet labels me one as well lol) you didn't mention Treasure Planet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Lady Tink,
    I know you have one but...Thanks for being a loyal friend. I have given you the Award for Friends. Come to my site to see it and claim the button for your blog.
    Congratulations,
    Bingo from Bookin With Bingo

    http://bookinwithbingo.blogspot.com/2009/03/award-for-friends-with-thanks.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice Teh: Alvin will always be my favorite. Such a cute little rascal!

    The Tome Traveller: Thank you!

    Rebecca: It will be a little while but I do have a Treasure Planet review coming up.

    Bingo: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know, i've never read Treasure Island? I have to read it someday.

    I liked Alvin and the Chipmunks too.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed my musings and I would love to hear what you think about them!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
The Movieholic and Bibliophile's Blog