Thursday, August 26, 2010

BTT- Giving Up

If you’re not enjoying a book, will you stop mid-way? Or do you push through to the end? What makes you decide to stop?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

If I absolutely can't tolerate anymore then yes I'll stop reading the book but if I'm just having trouble with it I usually push through. Especially if I get over halfway through the book, then I tend to finish it. The last two books I read I've had trouble with and though I liked the one I just finished, it was the one that I ended up disliking I actually thought was still well-written. I wouldn't have minded never reading it in the first place but it would have bothered me if I hadn't finished it.

8 comments:

  1. I need to get better at giving up on books, but it's just not in my nature - I guess I'm too anal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have given up on finishing one book- Mobey dick- that was brutal for school and I got half way through before I couldn't handle the descriptions any more- you know there is an entire chapter specifically for the description of the whale...holy moley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just quit reading Anna Karenina recently-the monster mash version was easier to get through for me! It's hard to do but sometimes stopping is a necessary evil,so that you can tackle something else on your reading pile that you might enjoy more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give up. Life's too short to read bad books, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guatami tripathy: Amen to that!

    Bermudaonion: I'll give up if I really, really hate it but it's rare.

    Summer Ross: That's one of the books I couldn't get more than a chapter read. I plan on trying again someday... maybe.

    Lady T: I thought about watching one of the Anna Kareina movie adaptations but I know the book would put me to sleep.

    Juju: Right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to finish every book I open. However I totally agree with Juju!! I only wish I could stick to that great piece of advice *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to push thru. I dont like to give up on a book, but if it's really bad, I'll leave it.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will feel bad if I can't finish a book but I soon get over it. I just tell myself it's another bad "investment" and every bad choice that I made, makes me more aware of what will work for me. So yes, I do abandon my books if I can't continue reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed my musings and I would love to hear what you think about them!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
The Movieholic and Bibliophile's Blog