Monday, February 7, 2011

Musing Monday- Book Police

This week’s musing asks…


How do you react to the “book police”? (people who judge what you are reading, and try to make you feel guilty) Do you respond to their judgements? Or, do you keep quiet? Do you let what they say influence your reading, or do you do your own thing, regardless?

Oh the book police! Annoying, nosy people. What happened to 'if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all'? Maybe I'm just channeling my inner Thumper but if I see you holding a book that I personally wouldn't read if you paid me (considering all the genres I read, that's very rare), I'm certainly not going to say that to you! The world wouldn't be so nearly an interesting place if everyone just read old classics.

That said, I have made some excuses for what I was reading before and to keep from being teased in high school I would usually carry Stephen King novels to read since everyone knew who he was (that and it was before I realized just how much was out there). Nowadays, I read what I want when I want and I could care less what others think about it.

6 comments:

  1. This was a good topic. Personally, I don't care what people think about what I read. Check out my answer for this week's Monday Musing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewwww I hate folks like that. And sadly a great deal of adults find it quite fitting to pass judgment on other peoples book. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you! I think it's fine if people read genres I don't enjoy. That's why there are so many books out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, to each their own in my book...pardon the pun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori: I did like the topic.

    Juju: High and mighty people suck.

    Bermudaonion: They wouldn't be published unless someone was reading them right? Makes me want tell all the book police to take their snobbery and shove it lol.

    Caite: :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still feel weird reading anything with a cover that looks like a romance in public...

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed my musings and I would love to hear what you think about them!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
The Movieholic and Bibliophile's Blog