Friday, January 11, 2008

Shelfari/ New Rating System

I did something I never thought I would do... I joined Shelfari! After all the crud I went through with Library Thing I decided I would keep up with what I'd read and hadn't read in a text document on the computer (which I'm still doing). A fellow blogger convinced me to try it out and so far I like looking up the books I own and adding them to my virtual shelf. I am having qualms about adding library books even though I don’t click the “I Own” button.

Another thing I was thinking about doing is rating the books I read. I generally don’t do this because something I adore might not appeal to someone else and I try to give my honest opinion of the book anyway but if I do decide to start rating books here is how I’ll do it:
  • 5 stars- A book I absolutely could not put down and/or stayed up to an ungodly hour finishing it.
  • 4 stars- A book I really liked but was still able to put down eve if I couldn't stop thinking about it (I usually finish books like these within a few days).
  • 3 stars- A good book but I found myself getting up and doing things (like checking emails, etc.) instead of reading it.
  • 2 stars- The book was alright but there was something I didn’t like about it
  • 1 star- A book that I not only put down a couple of times but actually had to make myself finish (there won’t be too many of these)

Sound good?

Oh and I'm not at all artistic but Kimbooktu is having an art contest on her site! (see above to enter)

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you joined Shelfari! My username there is melody_lee. What's yours?

    And I think the book rating is a great idea. It will help the readers to determine how good the books are although it's an individual's opinion but still it helps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rating sounds good! I'm still trying to work out something for mine but still... Maybe I'll never rate the books I've read...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rating system makes so much sense to me. I usually see numerical ratings and wonder what the difference is between a 3.5 and a 4 for the person doing the rating. But one of the ways I judge books is just how you're outlining here -- how much hold they had over me!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed my musings and I would love to hear what you think about them!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
The Movieholic and Bibliophile's Blog