Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bookish Meme

I snagged this from Savy Verse & Wit (Serena):

1. Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
I like them all! A book is a book really but mass markets fit better in my purse...

2. Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Um, both? Love bookstores!

3. Bookmark or dog-ear?
Bookmark

4. Amazon or brick and mortar?
I prefer brick and mortar but I'll occasionally use Amazon.

5. Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
Mine's kind of random and they go mainly by genre and size. I do keep all of my authors together though!

6. Keep, throw away, or sell?
I sure hope this question doesn't mean throwing away books! I've never done that in my entire life. We just sell them or give them away when we no longer want them.

7. Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Keep even though... (see #8)

8. Read with dust jacket or remove it?
I can't read with that thing on there.

9. Short story or novel?
Novels mainly but I do enjoy anthologies quite a lot.

10. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I'll have to go with the one I've read here: Harry Potter

11. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Most of the time I ignore being tired and read until I'm finished as I hate stopping a story once I've started it. Occasionally I will stop a story wherever I please if I can.

12. "It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
Hmm, how about "Once upon a time, it was a dark and stormy night"?

13. Buy or borrow?
Borrow mainly but I LOVE to buy!

14. New or used?
Either. Some of my most loved books came to me used.

15. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
When buying new books, it's usually by an author I've read and loved before. However when it comes to used books, it's a mixture of all three.

16. Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Not too tidy if it's a series but no ginormous cliffhangers either (yes, I'm thinking of Rachel Caine).

17. Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
I'll read wherever and whenever but I prefer to read at night when its very quiet.

18. Stand-alone or series?
Really depends. If it seems a story still has more to tell me then I'm going to be irritated that there isn't a sequel. However, the reverse is true too and I'm getting a little tired of reading series that are burning themselves out...

19. Favorite series?
I don't pick favorites normally but I'm going to go with Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris and The House of Night by P.C. and Kristin Cast. Ask me again next month and I'll have changed my mind!

20. Favorite children's book?
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.

21. Favorite YA book?
Um... way too many

22. Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Scruffy by Jack Stoneley

23. Favorite books read last year?
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs, The Alienist by Caleb Carr, Heartsick by Chelsea Cain, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon, Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor, Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer, The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor, Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, & Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. Complete list here (with links)

24. Favorite books of all time?
I have 3: Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland, The Stand by Stephen King, and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

25. What are you reading right now?
Re-reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

26. What are you reading next?
The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up by JoAnna Carl

27. Favorite book to recommend to an eleven-year-old?
Umm... Harry Potter or Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.

28. Favorite book to reread?
See number 24. I've read all those books three times or more a piece.

29. Do you ever smell books?
Of course! Love the smell of new books!

30. Do you ever read Primary source documents?
What in the world is that?!

11 comments:

  1. This is a fun meme! I enjoyed reading your answers. BTW, I like the pic too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the image you chose...I keep coming back to look at it.

    A primary source is something written (or created) by someone with first hand experience of an event. So if you were in L'Aquila for the earthquake and then wrote in your diary about it (or wrote a poem, or painted a picture, or wrote an essay), your diary (or poem or painting or essay) is a primary source.

    If I read your diary and cite it in a book I write about the earthquake, then my book is a secondary source.

    Sorry...my inner history teacher had to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a surprise on my site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers, Jen. I agree with a lot of them. Especially dust jackets and brick-and-mortar stores.

    You recommend Percy Jackson? I actually just got The Lightning Thief from paperbackswap.com and was going to read it in the next few weeks. I'm really looking forward to it. I've been obsessed with finding fiction about Gods and Olympians after reading American Gods. Fred Saberhagen has a series on the Norse Gods I'm thinking about reading.

    Great meme!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naida: Glad you liked it, hope you play!

    Melody: Thank you!

    Softdrink: I almost went with another one but found this at the last second. Thanks for telling me about what a primary source was in relation to reading :)

    Lenore: Lol, yeah and those are just the ones I've read 3 or more times before. I have other favorites as well.

    Wisteria: Thank you!

    Paxton: Thanks. Loved The Lightening Thief (I have 26 reviews ahead of it though) and the rest of the series too. Very reminiscent of Potter at times but well worth reading, can't wait for the last book to come out.... not to mention the movie soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine throwing away books either! Unless one fell into a puddle of mud or the toilet or something :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, that throwing away books question is crazy! I'm glad you did this meme. I love that hypnotic shot of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fun meme, Jen! I enjoy reading your answers. THROW AWAY BOOKS? Who's that lunatic?! Show me that person and I'll give him a good "lecture"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nymeth: Me either! Not even if it fell in a puddle.

    Serena: Isn't that a neat picture?! I thought since I'd said that my fav book is Alice in Wonderland it would be fitting.

    Alice Teh: I'll help hold them down during that "lecture"!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed my musings and I would love to hear what you think about them!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
The Movieholic and Bibliophile's Blog