Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fictional Serial Killers/ The Good Guy

It takes a seriously talented author to create a memorable villain but it takes a genius to create a serial killer who is not only interesting but he (or sometime she) is the person you root for! My two favorite killers are Hannibal Lecter and Dexter Morgan. I’ve seen all of the Hannibal movies and read all the books (would love to do a re-read) but I’ve only read the first book in the Dexter series and only watched the first season. Something I need to remedy quickly!

I think Hannibal’s intelligence and Anthony Hopkins’ portrayal of him is what makes him my number one favorite bad guy (although I found I preferred the book version of him more). Can’t say I was surprised in the least when I discovered that he was the #1 villain on the American Film Institute’s 100 Heroes and Villains! It was the TV Dexter that made me want to read the Dexter books. Michael C. Hall walks the thin line between being creepy and interesting- mainly because he’s a serial killer who kills other serial killers.

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!



SPOILERS:



So who is your favorite fictional serial killer? Don’t forget to stop by my review for Dean Koontz’s The Good Guy!

8 comments:

  1. I haven't thought about these books in a long time, but William Diehl had a great character, Aaron Stampler, in "Primal Fear" and "Show of Evil". I loved those books, and Edward Norton was *amazing* as Stampler in the movie. Sadly, I was very disappointed in the last of the trilogy, "Reign In Hell". But those first two are great!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book and only saw a glimpse of the film. But still, he gives me the creeps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lezlie: Ooh I haven't heard of those! Thanks for the recommendation!

    Alice Teh: Lol. Hannibal or Dexter or both? They're creepy to be sure and certainly not someone I would want to cross paths with but they're interesting to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My current favorites in this category are The Beauty Killer(Gretchen Lowell) from Chelsea Cain's Heartsick & Sweetheart and Sylar from Heroes.

    I know Sylar's strictly a TV creation but he's one of the main reasons that I've stuck with the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I forgot about Gretchen! Heroes is hubby's show. I know I'll eventually watch it but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Hannibal Lecter is my favorite hands down. Anthony Hopkins was made to play him. Sooooo creepy!!
    The second Silence of the Lambs truly grossed me out though.

    I havent seen Dexter, but heard it was really good.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dexter is my most favorite show ever! You MUST watch Season 2 since it was one of the best. Season 3 just ended on Showtime and it wasn't anywhere as good as the other two seasons. I was rather dissapointed. The last couple episodes were good but nowhere near as explosive as Season 2.

    I bought the first book but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo! These two would be my favorites too, Jen. I haven't read the final Hannibal book and I'm a book behind in the Dexter series, but I really have enjoyed reading about both characters. There's just something about them . . .

    I do agree with Lezlie about Edward Norton playing Stampler in Primal Fear--awesome, awesome! I haven't read the books though. I didn't even know Primal Fear was a book, much less a trilogy! Must look into that.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed my musings and I would love to hear what you think about them!

Don't forget to visit my other blog:
The Movieholic and Bibliophile's Blog